Who doesn’t like lattes? I mean dairy-free and caffeine free of course :)
I haven’t had a single drop of coffee in about 3 years. I took it out of my diet because I was dealing with anxiety and panic attacks at the time. But with the help of my Naturopathic Doctor I was able to overcome those issues. (I will definitely elaborate on that story at a different time and a different post) I still don’t drink coffee though and I don’t miss it, neither does my liver. I love tea, I absolutely love it. I typically drink teas that will benefit my health and body, whether its aiding in digestion or helping me relax. There are so many different types of tea with so many different benefits and flavours. That’s what’s so great about it.
So anyway, I starting drinking lattes again. With super medicinal mushrooms like chaga and antioxidant rich matcha green tea.( yes, it does naturally contain a very small amount of caffeine) They’re both super yummy and satisfy my need for something warm when I don’t feel like tea and a great coffee substitute. Trust me, try a chocolate chaga latte and you’ll be convinced.
and cue the superfood….
Goji berries have been used in traditional medicine in China for over 2000 years and have a high concentration of nutrients including beta-carotene, lutein and one of many antioxidants called zeaxanthin which are all great for improving eye health and strengthening immunity.
These little berries have been considered an aphrodisiac in China. They increase testosterone levels and stimulate libido in men and women ;)
Goji’s contain vitamin C, B and E. Many trace minerals and amino acids. They are rich in antioxidants which protect the body from toxins and environmental pollutants. Slows the aging process and prevents oxidative damage.
These berries pack quite the punch so eat your Goji’s, not only for your overall health but for your sex life too.
Goji Berry Latte
1/2 cup of Goji Berries ( Soaked before hand for 30mins)
1/4 cup of filtered water
1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
a pinch of cinnamon
optional – add a touch of raw honey for added sweetness, although I think it’s great without.
1. Soak berries for 30 mins.
2. Drain liquid from berries and add filtered water to blender. Start with a few tablespoons of water first. Depending on the type of blender, you may not need the full amount of water. Just enough to be able to blend them together. You might be left with little seeds that did not break down, if this is the case you can strain them out or drink it down.
3. Pour 4 tbsp. of Goji paste into mug.
4. Heat almond milk on stove top and whisk away with a tiny wire whisk to make it frothy.
5. Pour into mug, add a sprinkle of cinnamon and Enjoy!
* I also tried grinding up the berries in a coffee grinder and using it as a powder for the latte, but you’re left with a lot of little pieces that do not break down. Soaking them makes it easier to blend up and the taste is more intense.